Sunday 18 April 2010

www.colitafotografia.com


COLITA


GABRIEL GARCÍA MÁRQUEZ


I am very fortunate and privileged to be friend of Colita. Isabel Esteva, although everybody knows her by Colita, is one of the greatest Spanish photographers of all time.
Recently I received an e-mail in which she explained that she had updated her website. I took a look and felt like writing something about her. Colita is primarily known for her portraits and his Flamenco subjects, so I decided to do a portrait in her studio to mimic one of his most famous portraits, the one of Gabriel Garcia-Marquez.




When I was a starting young photographer, I recall with clarity the two photographic works that struck me most. They were Xavier Miserachs's book Barcelona blanc i negre, and the exhibition of portraits made by Colita in Aixelà gallery titled La Gauche Divine. Colita advanced in more than two decades the current trend to represent the subjects in situations recreated or symbolic. You can see an example of what I explain in the editor Jorge Herralde’s portrait with their "secretaries" Coral Majó and Ana Bohigas or the model Romy’s shot.



EL EDITOR JORGE HERRALDE, CORAL MAJÓ Y ANNA BOHIGAS


ROMY

I remember how a portrait of the model and designer Elsa Peretti deeply troubled me in my years of youth.

ELSA PERETTI


But apart from the recognition of his portraits and Flamenco pictures, Colita have wonderful documentary photos to capture a past that will never return. In updating her website, carried out by his friend Francesc Polop appear, some for the first time, extraordinary images taken in the sixties and seventies. Do not miss them!




Colita almost doesn’t take photos anymore, but runs like a dream her extensive and very valuable stock, a marvel of order and functionality, with the cooperation of her lifelong assistant, Gemma Buenaventura .

No comments:

Post a Comment