Wednesday 5 May 2010

PICTURES FROM MY WINDOW. THE FLYING VISITOR



After the flowering of the plant, and certainly as a result of that, another surprise: a small insectivorous bird shows in front of my window. My cats alerted me with their attitude. Fortunately for the bird without being able to hunt it; all the windows are closed. Unlike of my poor knowledge about plants, I understand a bit about birds, I am an amateur ornithologist. I would swear this one is a Warbler. I photographed it with a Nikon D80 and a 180mm telephoto f: 2.8 to a 640 ASA. (What follows is only for Ornithology fans).

I think the little bird it is from the Warbler family: small, thin beak, but... What kind?



I appeal to my old and valuable guide (the first Spanish edition): The Field Guide of the Birds of Spain and other European countries by Peterson, Mountfort and Hollem. And as you can see a little damaged by the use and the years.




I thought it may be a Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita), after all is the most common, but I think it is not. The small signal in the wing makes me think it could be a Willow Warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus). What a names! I discard the Wood Warbler (Phylloscopus sibilatrix) because its belly is much more yellowish .Looking carefully in the guide I see that there is only one difference between the two, the musical has pink legs and the common darker ones


I believe that is a Willow Warbler, but by the colour of the legs, darker, it could be a Chiffchaff. Of course I'm looking at the pictures I made; otherwise I would not have had any option. The guide says that the Willow Warbler has the legs GENERALLY ( meaning not always) clear. What if this one is an exception? HELP! IS THERE SOME ORNITOLOGIST OUT THERE THAT CAN LEND ME A HAND?



BYE, BYE BIRD

No comments:

Post a Comment