Sunday 9 May 2010

MAKING OFF .LIVES IN CALM

A GOOD LENS SHADE AND A GOOD ASSISTANT. FOTO:MARIE-PIERRE LAFONTAINE

JORDI NOGUERAS

KRIS UBACH



“Lives in calm”, the story I published recently In Vanguardia Magazine, began when I made a proposal to the Magazine director. Thinking about stories that could be published I remember two friends of mine. Jordi Nogueras that after many jobs was living of making radio control aeroplanes and Isabel Vilà, a journalist that left the big city to run a rural house, Cal Porrerà, in the heart of Catalonia’s wine region el Priorat. The Magazine director liked my idea and I start working on it. I add two more friends to the list: Victor Palomera and Kris Ubach. The photographer Colita, who knows everyone, connected me with Beatriz Díaz de Liaño, who runs a horse shelter, and Celtia Traviesas, the journalist who wrote the text introduced me to Hammad Alzayat and Lidia Salas.
Before shooting a story I always plan carefully the photographic angle. In this case I decided making portraits very well light with studio strobes. In the places I could dispose of an electric socket I carried with me a suitcase con two 250 WATS strobes and umbrellas to get a soft light. I photographed Jordi, Victor, Isabel, Hammad and Lidia using them.
We need a strobe meter to check the light. To achieve a good result combinating strobe and available light is complicated. Before the digital era the photographers always have to shoot Polaroids before. Now it is much easier, we can see the results on our LCD camera screen.

FOTO: LUIS MIGUEL MARCO


Problems ahead! Though the laptop computer is on, due to the strong light, it is hard to see anything at all on the screen. Solution? Cut and paste the Spanish stock exchange graphic on a Photoshop postproduction.


Victor Palomera

FOTO: LUIS MIGUEL MARCO



ISABEL VILÀ IN HER CAL PORRERA'S CELLER

FOTO: GEMA DARBO


For the Hammad portrait I used 2 strobes heads; and just one head for all the others. You can see the second unit behind the microscope and the light stand legs below the table. I used this second strobe to separate Hammad from the back that was very dark and, also, to light the test- tubes with the green and pink liquids (kid paint that I bought in a Chinese one euro store).

HAMMAD ALZAYAT. KABARA


LIDIA SALAS


For the rest of the portraits in the open air, far from electric connections, I used a 400 WATS Norman strobe and a box light. Every time I shoot portraits indoor I use a tripod. After trying several brands I finally choose Gitzo, I have a couple of them and they are very reliable and light. The last trend is carbon fibber models that are extremely light, but get ready to pay the double of the amount you’d pay for an aluminium model.Between them, in weight and also in price, we have basalt tripods.

BEATRIZ DÍAZ DE LIAÑO.


PHOTOGRAPHED WITH A NORMAN STROBE

No comments:

Post a Comment