Sunday 25 April 2010

PHOTOGRAPHING PEREGRINE FALCONS IN BARCELONA’S SAGRADA FAMILIA



I know I won’t win a nature contest with these photos, nor will I compete with Juan Pablo Moreiras, Oriol Alemany or Jordi Xampeny ,but I had a great time. I couldn’t take the photos from my window but I was able to see and photograph peregrine falcons just 7 subway stops from my house, an immense privilege. That is the result of the reintroduction of this beautiful bird of prey in Barcelona, in this case in the Sagrada Familia church. They installed a camera in the nest and I could follow in live the birth and breeding of the small falcons. 4 there were born and this Sunday the last chick left the nest, so I thought it was a good time to see them around the temple of the Sagrada Familia. I was right.







I photographed the hawks from the street; I guess everybody thought I was another tourist photographing the famous Gaudi's church. The distance was quite large as you can see in the overview of the crane the hawks use as a privileged vantage point from which to scan their preys. I used a Nikon D80 with a 300mm f: 4, and then I had to reframe the birds.
It's amazing the amount of exciting things you can do in Barcelona for free,isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment