Friday 7 May 2010

/ CARTIER-BRESSON : THE MYSTERY OF THE "MISSING" PHOTO.

Henry Cartier-Bresson, Berlin 1962


It was one the first books that I bought when I was beginning my photographic career. The title was "The world of Henri Cartier-Bresson”; the careful printing was done in Lucerne, Switzerland, and the Spanish edition belonged to Lumen. Fascinated, I kept on admiring his pictures: "On the banks of the Marne 1938", “Behind Gare Saint-Lazare, Paris 1932", "Hyeres" ,"Dimanche Matin"... But I had a favourite one, five children playing besides the Berlin Wall, an image that Cartier-Bresson took in 1962. This photo was printed full-page as one of the importants in the book.
The years passed by and I had plenty of chances to meet again with the work of Cartier-Bresson: in Paris, in London, in the Piazza del Duomo in Milano, in Amsterdam, in the exhibitions in Barcelona at the Picasso Museum, at Caixa Forum ...I reviewed all the books that kept showing retrospectives of his work, but never went back to see the photo of the children playing near the Berlin Wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment