Saturday 24 April 2010

BYE BYE KODACHROME

KODACHROMES 64 ASA BY PACO ELVIRA


It is a pity, but it is the sign of the times. Kodachrome, the mythical colour slide film which was the benchmark for fine grain and saturated colours, and that was used by all the National Geographic’s photographers, stops production. It was so popular that even Paul Simon composed a song for it.

I used it for a long time. I dug deep in my stock and I found these originals, yet with its typical cardboard markers, from a trip to China in 1979 for Interviu magazine in the company of journalist Xavier Vinader.


At that time I was very young but I have seen, looking at these images, that I already knew how to do pannings.



In the 90’s, I finally gave up Kodachrome, increasingly difficult to develop, for Fujichrome Velvia 50 ASA, a film with very fine grain and superb colours, that could be developed in any lab.

Kodak has opened a virtual gallery where you can see the work of kodachrome photographers like Eric Meola or Steve McCurry, whose striking portrait of the Afghan girl has become one of the most famous photos of the history of photography and, without doubt, the most popular National Geographic's cover.


PHOTO STEVE McCURRY


To me, the photographers who used Kodachrome and have influenced me the most were Ernst Haas, Pete Turner and, above all, Alex Webb.

No comments:

Post a Comment