Saturday 24 April 2010

/ THE FREELANCE PHOTOGRAPHER WAGES IN THE YEAR OF THE CRISIS II

PHOTOGRAPHIC SHOP OUT OF BUSINESS

( Segunda parte / Second part )





Looking at my billing by sectors in 2001, 35% were due to the stock sales, 28% to published stories, 22% to institutional orders, 11% to classes, workshops and conferences and a 4% for photo books.






In 2005, the second best billing year, published stories top the billing with a 26%, followed by classes with 24%, books 23%, stock sales were a 16% and various 11%. In various we find the money for a prize, the Generalitat gave me for best concerned story published in Catalonia. It was Mission in Kabul, text and photos, which I published in La Vanguardia Magazine. And also the wages for translating technical photo books from English to Spanish.



In 2008, the picture changes dramatically. Nobody asked me to shoot a book nor gave me an institutional assignment. The postgraduate courses, classes workshops and conferences that accounted for 64% of the total, more than double, 2.3, than in 2005, saved me. The stock sales came down; it was 1.4 times more in 2005, and the largest drop as expected, came in published stories, nearly half the amount than in 2005, that was 1.8 times higher than in 2008. A section which I started in 2008, selling prints to collectors, represented a 7%. I am a veteran photographer and it seems inevitable that as the years pass by, I’ll have fewer stories to photograph, but all this accumulated knowledge can be translated into classes in which to share the lessons I learned, and an important photo stock. For young photographers starting out, they have years of tightening the belt ahead , making all the photos and stories possible in order to gain experience and try to start accumulating stock for future years.

No comments:

Post a Comment