Wednesday 28 April 2010

50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE NIKON F MOUNT

MY OLD NIKON F WITH THE 35 mm


I recently learned that Nikon was going to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Nikon F mount. This made me think: I am a convinced Nikonist, beyond logic. In fact it's like if I were a fan of a football team like the Barcelona, and the Canon were the Real Madrid. Despite periods, I must acknowledge, that Canon has surpassed Nikon I have always maintained true to the brand of my loves. Why? The first reason is that I still remember, at the beginning of the 70s, the tremendous enthusiasm that made me buy my first Nikon F with a 35mm f: 2, which still keep. Some of my most famous photos, taken during the Portuguese Revolution in 1974 or the children playing basketball in the steppe of Mongolia in 1979, were taken with this camera and this lens. One lens that I can still use, albeit with limitations, in almost all Nikon because the firm have always maintained the mythical F mount. This is another reason; I remember when Canon changed their mount and the problems it caused to my canonists friends .


LISBOA 1974 NIKON F 35 mm

MONGOLIA 1979 NIKON F 35 mm


I dug into my archive and I found a self-portrait I took in a Hong Kong’s hotel, during a two months trip for Asia together with journalist Xavier Vinader (the one reading in bed), all expenses paid (seems incredible in these times, right?) for Interviú magazine.


PACO ELVIRA ,HONG KONG 1979

I've also found an interview they made me in FlashFoto and the photo equipment I travelled with, part of which appears in this self-portrait was: A Nikon F, a Nikon F with a photomic that gave as a present to my friend Pepe Encinas- who collects old cameras - for his birthday, a Nikkormat and a Nikon F2 I bought in Tokyo. The lenses were a 24 mm, 35 mm, 85 mm, 135 mm and a 300 mm. 80 rolls Kodachrome 64, 40 Ektachrome 200, and 50 Tri X. Almost nothing.


HAPPY ANNIVERSARY F MOUNT!


No comments:

Post a Comment